Go to top of page


Who should I contact for further information?

Course owners with further questions in relation to the publication of additional information on accredited courses can contact the Australian Government Department of Education and Training at VETquality [at] education.gov.au.

How can I complain about ASQA?

You can contact ASQA to:

  • provide feedback
  • request more information, or
  • lodge a formal complaint. 

To provide feedback―positive or negative― email feedback [at] asqa.gov.au.

To make an enquiry (for example, about your registration), contact the ASQA Info line on enquiries [at] asqa.gov.au or 1300 701 801.

To make a formal complaint about ASQA, complete and submit a Complaint about ASQA form (DOC 790kb).

How do I apply for initial registration as an RTO?

  1. Log in to asqanet https://asqanet.asqa.gov.au/
  2. Either select the Registration: New application button on the asqanet home page or select VET/CRICOS Applications from the Registration menu within asqanet.
  3. Follow the prompts as asqanet guides you through to the application landing page for you to start completing your application. You can either use the left-hand side menu or the icons to move through the application process.

Refer to the Application guide—Application for initial RTO registration on the ASQA website for help with completing your application.

How do I register to use asqanet if I am the Chief Executive Officer or Principal Executive Officer of a provider?

ASQA will create administrator user accounts for those people nominated as:

  • Chief Executives for RTO applicants and existing RTOs, and
  • Principal Executive Officers for applicant and registered CRICOS providers.

Those administrators can create user accounts for staff or consultants to act as agents for the organisation, or staff/consultants can create their own accounts by registering to use asqanet and requesting agent access to the organisation, which the administrator may grant.

ASQA will email your log in details to your email address, as registered on training.gov.au.

If you have not received your log in details by 30 September 2016, please check your junk mail folder, and/or contact the Info line by email enquiries [at] asqa.gov.au.

Does ASQA investigate complaints about CRICOS providers?

ASQA can receive certain complaints about organisations providing training to overseas students on student visas. These training organisations are referred to as Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) providers.

ASQA can consider complaints about CRICOS providers where the provider is alleged to have breached the required standards, and  failed to provide quality training and assessment. ASQA will use this information to inform its regulation of the provider.

Other complaints may be considered by the Overseas Students Ombudsman, or by another agency. For more information, see Complaints.

What is an appropriate volume of learning for a qualification type?

The Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) provides a guide to the volume of learning (see ‘AQF volume of learning indicators’ table), which describes how long a learner who does not hold any of the competencies identified in the relevant units of competency or modules would take to develop all the required skills and knowledge.

Your RTO is required to comply with the AQF in applying the volume of learning to your programs. You must therefore develop and implement strategies for training and assessment that are consistent with the AQF.

How do I register to use asqanet if I am not a Chief Executive or Principal Executive Officer of a provider?

All users of the former ASQAnet system who are not nominated as Chief Executives or Principal Executive Officers will need to re-register to use asqanet.

  1. Select Register to use asqanet from the asqanet landing page, https://asqanet.asqa.gov.au/
  2. You will be asked to provide details including your email address (which will be your username); password; contact details; and responses to secret questions for retrieving your username and password in the future.
  3. Select one of the following three options:
    • Apply for initial VET or CRICOS registration: Select this option if you are applying for initial registration as an RTO or CRICOS provider.
    • Represent an existing stakeholder: Select this option if you are a staff member or a consultant working for an RTO or CRICOS provider. Note that your administrator (in most cases the CEO or PEO of your provider) will need to approve your access. Once this access is approved, you will be able to log in as an agent.
    • Report a provider: Select this option if you only want to make a complaint about a provider.

I’ve registered for asqanet, but can’t remember the password I set for my asqanet account. What do I need to do?

If you forget your password for asqanet, you’ll need to request a temporary password to regain access to your account.

You can do this by:

  • Entering your email address
  • Choosing to verify the account.
  • Entering the answers to your secret questions.

You will then receive an email containing a temporary password.

You will need to click on the link provided in that email to and then create a new password.

Where do I find the hours assigned to training package units of competency included in an accredited course?

The hours assigned to training package units of competency included in an accredited course can be found in the Victorian Purchasing Guides.

What standards do I need to comply with as a CRICOS provider?

A CRICOS provider must comply at all times with the:

  • Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act)
  • Education Services for Overseas Students Regulations 2001, and
  • National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2017.

In addition:

  • if offering vocational education and training (VET) courses, the provider must comply with the VET Quality Framework, and
  • if offering English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), the provider must comply with the ELICOS National Standards.

Are superseded qualifications or units of competency counted for the cost of annual registration charges and renewal of registration fees?

If you have a new equivalent qualification or unit of competency on your scope of registration as well as the superseded product, these products will only be counted once for the purpose of annual registration charge and renewal of registration fee calculation (i.e. the superseded product will not add to the cost of the fees).

If you have a new training package qualification or unit of competency on scope that a Skilled Service Organisation (SSO) has deemed to be not equivalent to the superseded product, these products are counted as separate scope items for the purpose of annual registration charge and renewal of registration fee calculation (i.e. the superseded product will add to the cost of the charge or fee).

Do I have to pay the total amount of a fee or charge to ASQA upfront, or can I pay in instalments?

ASQA does not accept payment in instalments. You are required to pay any annual registration charges or any other charges in full by the date specified in the payment terms.

Do I need approval to deliver a course online?

No—however, you must notify ASQA you plan to deliver a course online by submitting a Minor Change request using asqanet.

ASQA might ask you to provide evidence that demonstrates that the course is suitable for online delivery.

Do I still have to pay my annual registration charge while my renewal of registration application is being considered?

Yes―your registration continues during this period, so you are still required to comply with all your obligations as a registered training organisation (RTO), including the obligation to pay your annual registration charge.

How do I advise ASQA that I am not seeking to renew my RTO registration?

If you no longer wish to operate as a registered training organisation, you must apply to the ASQA to withdraw your registration.

Until ASQA has approved your application, you remain registered and are required to pay ASQA annual registration charges.

What happens if ASQA has not completed the assessment of my renewal of registration application before my registration expiry date?

ASQA will ensure your registration remains current until your application has been finalised.

Will I always be audited for renewal of registration?

ASQA will only conduct an audit during renewal of registration if a risk assessment indicates that an audit should be conducted.

Some of the factors reviewed in the risk assessment include:

  • whether the qualifications/units in the application lead to industry licences
  • the provider’s profile (formerly 'risk rating'), and
  • the length of time since a full scope audit was conducted

For more information about audits, refer to the Fact sheet—ASQA audits.

Do providers get a reminder if they have not submitted the annual declaration on compliance, and what action does ASQA take if the annual declaration has not been submitted by the due date?

While ASQA typically includes information on pending deadlines (such as the deadlines to submit data) on the ASQA website and in the ASQA Update, a reminder is not sent to each RTO. It is up to every RTO to ensure they comply with Clause 8.4 of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015.

As a condition of registration, RTOs are required to ensure continued compliance with the VET Quality Framework, which includes the Standards for Registered Training Organisations and Data Provision Requirements. Failure to report full and accurate data as and when required can result in ASQA taking regulatory action.

What are the deadlines for data submission?

Quality Indicator data reporting or learner engagement and employer satisfaction data must be submitted to qidata [at] asqa.gov.au and competency completion data to CCOS by 30 June 2017.

Total VET Activity data is due to NCVER or your relevant State Training Authority by no later than the end of February each year.

How can I seek guidance on Work Placement queries?

Please refer to the work placement guide developed by the previous Industry Skills Council, Community Services and Health ISC.

For any further queries about Work Placement, please enquiries [at] skillsiq.com.au (contact SkillsIQ)

How can I access information about applying to deliver Training and Education Training Package (TAE) qualifications?

Please refer to ASQA’s previously published guidance on applying for TAE qualifications.

How can training providers discuss issues or concerns with ASQA and Skills IQ?

  • Providers can enquiries [at] skillsiq.com.au (contact SkillsIQ) for training package–related questions.
  • Skills IQ can also provide updates on the CHC training package review process
  • Providers should contact ASQA about meeting the Standards required for registration.

About the International Skills Training Courses Program

The International Skills Training Program is managed by the Department of Education and Training. More information can be found at www.education.qov.au/internationalskillstraininq and enquiries can be directed to internationalskillstraininq [at] education.qov.au.

The International Skills Training (1ST) Courses have been developed by the Australian Government for offshore delivery by approved Australian RTOs to support offshore skilling needs. The courses are not AQF qualifications and therefore are not accredited or regulated by ASQA. The Department of Education and Training manages the program and its associated compliance requirements. Information or queries relating to the regulation and oversight of the program should be referred to internationalskillstraininq [at] education.qov.au.

Not all Australian registered training organisations can deliver the 1ST courses. RTOs must apply for a licence to deliver the 1ST courses. A detailed list of eligibility criteria can be found in the Program Guidelines − available at www.education.gov.au/intemationalskillstraining.

May my RTO refer prospective students to an external loan provider to assist in paying for their course?

Your RTO is free to refer students to external loan providers as a payment option. However, if a student prepays fees of $1500 or more to your RTO, you must meet the requirements for fee protection set out in Schedule 6 of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015. This includes where your RTO receives those funds directly from an external loan provider. Before any student enrols or begins their training (whichever occurs first), you must ensure that the student is informed about relevant fee information, as detailed in Standard 5.3 of the Standards for RTOs 2015. If any organisation, such as an external loan provider, recruits students for your RTO, you must have a written agreement with the organisation and inform ASQA of the arrangement.

As a staff member or consultant, how do I link my user account to my organisation?

  1. First, you will need to Register to use asqanet as a staff member or consultant. When registering, you should select the option Represent an existing stakeholder.
  2. Click on your name in the top right corner of any non-form asqanet page and select My Account.
  3. Select Request Agent Access for Organisation.
  4. You can now search for and select your organisation. You can request agent access to one or more organisations.
  5. To search, begin typing the name of the organisation in the Organisation field and then select from the drop down list. Press the ‘+’ (plus) icon to include additional organisations and the ‘-‘ (minus) icon to remove organisations.
  6. Click Send request to finish the request.
  7. Your Account administrator will need to approve your access request.

How can an Administrator approve access for another user?

If you are an Administrator (in most cases, this will be the CEO or PEO), you will need to approve requests to register and therefore access your asqanet account from staff or contactors working for your provider.

To approve these registration requests:

  1. Log in to asqanet https://asqanet.asqa.gov.au/
  2. Selecting User Management from the drop-down menu in the top right corner.
  3. Pending Agent requests will be listed in the User Management section.
  4. To confirm an agent request, select Action Request.
  5. The staff member or contractor will then be granted access as an Agent for your organisation.
  6. You can also grant a staff member or contactor the capacity to approve other requests for registration as an agent, by making them an administrator. From the User Managementsection, under Current Agents, you have the option to select the Make Admin button.

Will I be informed of the outcome of my complaint?

In most instances, ASQA will write to you once the investigation of your complain is complete and advise you of the outcome.

Will lodging a complaint about ASQA result in any kind of regulatory action against me?

ASQA’s Governance, Policy and Quality team handles all complaints about ASQA. This team operates independently from ASQA operational units, and reports directly to the Chief Commissioner.

However, in some cases, ASQA may become aware of non-compliance when investigating your complaint. ASQA is obliged to act in all cases where non-compliance is detected.

Will my complaint about ASQA be reviewed by someone outside of ASQA?

ASQA’s Governance, Policy and Quality team handles all complaints about ASQA. This team operates independently from ASQA operational units, and reports directly to the Chief Commissioner. This reporting arrangement provides a measure of confidentiality for the complainant.

In exceptional circumstances, ASQA may engage the services an external body (e.g. where specialist investigatory skills are required).

How do I add an item to my RTO’s scope of registration?

  1. Log in to asqanet https://asqanet.asqa.gov.au/
  2. Either:
    • select the Registration: New application button on your asqanet home page, or
    • select VET/CRICOS Applications from the Registration menu within asqanet.
  3. Choose the scope items you would like to add from the drop-down list.
  4. Follow through the prompts as asqanet guides you to complete this application.