Extend a course
You can request an extension to course accreditation if there are ‘exceptional circumstances’.
You must make an extension request at least 90 days before your course accreditation expires.
(We will not consider requests made after course accreditation has expired.)
We grant extensions for the shortest amount of time that addresses the ‘exceptional circumstances’.
The following are examples of exceptional circumstances.
The outcome of your course:
- will be added to a nationally endorsed training package that is due for release shortly after your accreditation expires.
- leads to a regulatory or licensed outcome and the legislative framework that your course sits under is currently under review. The review is expected to be finalised shortly after your course accreditation expires.
- provides training that is required under legislation. That legislation is currently under review, and the review date is due to be completed shortly after course accreditation expires.
Circumstances that are not exceptional
The following examples are not accepted as exceptional circumstances:
- You did not apply for course accreditation renewal in time.
- You want to accept new enrolments past the expiry date of an existing course, while waiting for registration of your new course.
Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis.
We may let stakeholders know about the proposed extension of your course, including:
- RTOs that have the course on their scope of registration
- VET regulators in Victoria and Western Australia
- industry regulators and licensing bodies.
We consider stakeholder feedback in our decision-making process.
If your extension is approved
- We will confirm the new expiry date for your course accreditation.
- We will update the national register with the new expiry date.
- We may notify stakeholders of the decision.
If your extension is not approved
- We will let you know why your application was not approved.
- We may inform stakeholders of the decision.
There are no fees to request an extension.
There are no fees if ASQA approves your course extension.
How to apply
Download the application to extend course accreditation.
Send your application to email@example.com.
We aim to let you know of our decision within 40 business days of receiving your complete application.