Change RTO scope
What is a scope of registration?
Scope of registration is the vocational education and training (VET) training package qualifications, accredited courses and units of competency that your Registered Training Organisation (RTO) is approved to deliver.
Your scope of registration is listed on the national register.
Your RTO can't advertise, issue a qualification, accredited course or unit of competency that isn't included on your scope.
When to apply to change your scope of registration
You need to apply to change your scope if you want to add or remove training package qualifications, accredited courses and units of competency to your RTO registration.
If you are a provider registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS), you will also need to apply to change your registration to:
- add or remove VET courses
- increase or decrease student capacity or student course fees
- add or remove delivery locations
- change course duration or delivery format
- change a mandatory work-based training component for an existing course.
When you don’t need to apply to change your scope of registration
You don’t need to apply to change your scope of registration:
- to deliver skill sets made up of units of competency from a training package qualification or accredited course already on your scope
- if a training package qualification or unit of competency on your scope is superseded and replaced by a newer, equivalent version, as your scope will be automatically updated.
Delivery of elective units
Qualifications and accredited courses are made up of compulsory or elective units of competency or a combination of both.
Packaging or course rules describe the requirements and combination of units to achieve a qualification or course.
Providers registered for a full qualification or accredited course can also deliver:
- units of competency named in the packaging or course rules
- a skill set made of up units of competency named in the packaging or course rules.
How to add new versions of training products to your registration scope
When a training package is revised, qualifications and units of competency may replace products from a previous version. If this happens, products are classified as equivalent or non-equivalent.
Equivalent training products
ASQA automatically adds Transitioning equivalent training products to your scope free of charge.
Non-equivalent training products
You need to apply to add new, non-equivalent training package qualifications and units of competency to your scope.
You need to apply to add a new accredited course to scope, even if the course replaces another on your registration.
You can apply to add an accredited course with a future start date. The course will appear on the national register on the accreditation start date.
How to change your scope of registration
You can apply online to change your scope of registration using our asqanet portal.