Working together for better regulation
Information and updates on ASQA reform activities currently being undertaken
On 30 April 2020, the Australian Government released the rapid review into our regulatory practices and processes. This report outlines 24 recommendations for reforms to the way ASQA operates, in line with best practice governance, regulation and engagement. The report also provides a long-term vision for better regulation for the Australian Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector.
Implementation of the recommendations from the Rapid Review will occur through a staged approach. Some of the identified areas for improvement can be progressed immediately, while others will take time and require close engagement with stakeholders.
During 2020 we will be undertaking work to:
- align our practices and governance, and implement an internal restructure in line with the intention of the National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Amendment (Governance and Other Matters) Bill 2020 currently before Parliament
- strengthen our routine and risk-based monitoring
- build a common understanding of self-assurance and excellence in training outcomes
- expand the set of regulatory tools we use
- improve the way we conduct audits, write reports and describe evidence and non-compliances
- improve internal practices to achieve greater consistency in both audit approach and decision making
- become more transparent in identifying areas of risk and provide guidance that will support providers
- strengthen our engagement and education programs, including commencing the Stakeholder Liaison Group (SLG)
Upcoming engagement opportunities will cover areas including:
- strengthening focus on self-assurance
- improvements to the Declaration of Compliance
- approaches to remediation.
We will let you know about opportunities to participate in these as well as in our ongoing webinar series.
To ensure you hear about your chance to contribute, as well as find out about newly-published education and guidance material we recommend:
- subscribing to our monthly newsletter, ASQA Update
- following us on Twitter and LinkedIn
- regularly checking the latest news section of our website.
In addition, our Stakeholder Liaison Group (SLG) will help us identify and respond to key issues facing the sector, and will assist us in shaping our ongoing approach to education and engagement. This group will start meeting from mid-2020.
The final report of the rapid review of ASQA's regulatory practices, governance and culture.