Go to top of page


How do I make a report about a provider?

If you are using asqanet as an agent or administrator on behalf of an RTO or CRICOS provider:

  1. Log in to asqanet https://asqanet.asqa.gov.au/
  2. Access the Provider Reports menu
  3. Select Report a Provider
  4. Either use the left-hand side navigation menu, or the icons across the top right-hand side of your screen, to navigate your way through the form.
  5. All required fields must be completed before you are able to Submit this form.

How do I notify ASQA if my RTO business is entering liquidation?

You can notify ASQA of your business is entering liquidation by submitting a Notification of material change or event using asqanet.

How do I notify ASQA of a change of CEO?

You can notify ASQA of a change of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) by submitting a Notification of material change or event using asqanet.

How do I notify ASQA of changes to my RTO or CRICOS Provider?

If the change relates to your provider’s legal entity or legally responsible person:

  1. Submit a Notification of Material Change form by:
    • accessing the Registration menu and selecting Notification of Material Change, or
    • selecting the Registration: New Application button on your asqanet home page, and selecting Notification of material change or event.
    • Follow the prompts as asqanet guides you through the changes.

For general changes, such as changes to contact details:

  1. Access the Organisation menu and select either RTO Details or CRICOS Provider Details, or
  2. Select the RTO Details or CRICOS Provider Details button on your asqanet home page and select Update minor details from the Actions drop down.
  3. Follow the prompts as asqanet guides you through making the required changes

Users are able to view the current principal place of business and existing delivery site records for RTOs in asqanet, but they are unable to update those records via asqanet at this time. Use this form to:

  • notify a change to the address of your RTO’s principal place of business (only if different to your head office); or
  • amend the recorded details of one or more existing delivery sites.

How do I obtain recognition of prior learning RPL?

All nationally accredited training organisations are required to offer RPL when a student is accepted.

The process and cost vary between training providers.

You can find providers offering your course on the My Skills website. You can discuss your options and the RPL process with your new provider.

How do I register to use asqanet if I am not a Chief Executive or Principal Executive Officer of a provider?

All users of the former ASQAnet system who are not nominated as Chief Executives or Principal Executive Officers will need to re-register to use asqanet.

  1. Select Register to use asqanet from the asqanet landing page, https://asqanet.asqa.gov.au/
  2. You will be asked to provide details including your email address (which will be your username); password; contact details; and responses to secret questions for retrieving your username and password in the future.
  3. Select one of the following three options:
    • Apply for initial VET or CRICOS registration: Select this option if you are applying for initial registration as an RTO or CRICOS provider.
    • Represent an existing stakeholder: Select this option if you are a staff member or a consultant working for an RTO or CRICOS provider. Note that your administrator (in most cases the CEO or PEO of your provider) will need to approve your access. Once this access is approved, you will be able to log in as an agent.
    • Report a provider: Select this option if you only want to make a complaint about a provider.

How do I register to use asqanet if I am the Chief Executive Officer or Principal Executive Officer of a provider?

ASQA will create administrator user accounts for those people nominated as:

  • Chief Executives for RTO applicants and existing RTOs, and
  • Principal Executive Officers for applicant and registered CRICOS providers.

Those administrators can create user accounts for staff or consultants to act as agents for the organisation, or staff/consultants can create their own accounts by registering to use asqanet and requesting agent access to the organisation, which the administrator may grant.

ASQA will email your log in details to your email address, as registered on training.gov.au.

If you have not received your log in details by 30 September 2016, please check your junk mail folder, and/or contact the Info line by email enquiries [at] asqa.gov.au.

How do I remove items from my RTO’s scope of registration?

  1. Log in to asqanet https://asqanet.asqa.gov.au/
  2. Either:
    • access the Organisation menu and select RTO Details, or
    • select the RTO Details button on your asqanet home page and select Update minor details from the Actions drop-down menu.
  3. Follow the prompts as asqanet guides you through removing items from your RTO’s scope of registration

How do I renew my RTO’s registration?

  1. Log in to asqanet https://asqanet.asqa.gov.au/
  2. Either:
    • select the Registration: New application button on your asqanet home page, or
    • select VET/CRICOS Applications from the Registration menu within asqanet.
  3. Choose Renew my RTO’s Registration from the list.
  4. Follow the prompts as asqanet guides you through the process of renewing your RTO registration.

How do I request access to update the details of an RTO I’m associated with?

Once you’ve completed your registration you will need to request approval to be associated with one or more RTOs.

Please ensure that you inform the CEO or another administration account holder for each RTO that you are seeking access to the account.

Your request to represent an RTO will be listed as pending until it is authorised by the RTO’s administration account holder.

How do I transfer my training to another provider when my provider closes?

How do I update my personal details?

  1. Log in to asqanet https://asqanet.asqa.gov.au/
  2. Click on your name in the top right corner of any asqanet page and select My Account. You will not be able to do this if you are in the process of completing a form.
  3. Select Edit Details where your details are displayed on the left.
  4. Now asqanet will guide you through the changes you want to make. You can make multiple updates at the same time and then save or cancel those changes.

How do I update my RTO contact details on training.gov.au?

You can change update your registered training organisation (RTO) contact details by submitting a Notification of change of provider details using asqanet.

How do providers deal with the different requirements of ASQA and occupational health and safety regulators for high-risk work licenses?

ASQA regulates training providers against the vocational education and training (VET) Quality Framework and has no jurisdiction over regulatory requirements of other authorities. Similarly, other authorities such as state occupational health and safety regulators or Work Safe Australia do not have the authority to mandate requirements for delivery of nationally recognised training. However, these authorities may refuse to recognise qualifications or statements of attainment which have been issued by providers that do not meet their standards.

Providers that come under the jurisdiction of multiple industry regulators may need to comply with multiple requirements. If ASQA is notified of conflicting requirements, ASQA's Industry Engagement team works with relevant authorities to address these conflicts.

How do we submit report our learner engagement and employer satisfaction quality indicator data to ASQA?

You must use one of the following systems to report your learner engagement and employer satisfaction quality indicators to ASQA:

You must submit your quality indicator data reports in full to qidata [at] asqa.gov.au by close of business 30 June each year. Quality Indicator data is required for previous calendar year (1 January to 31 December).

How does an RTO in Western Australia or Victoria become registered with ASQA?

Training organisations in Victoria and Western Australia can only register with ASQA if they fall within ASQA's jurisdiction.

If your organisation is currently registered with the Victorian or West Australian regulator, but falls within ASQA’s jurisdiction, you should contact your current regulator and apply for a transfer to ASQA. The transfer is a simple process that does not attract any fees.

If you are in Victoria or Western Australia, and are applying for initial registration as a registered training organisation, you should apply to ASQA if you will be operating within ASQA’s jurisdiction.

Your organisation falls within ASQA’s jurisdiction if:

  • you are registered on Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) for delivery to overseas students.
  • your organisation offers courses online (in this case, you are considered to be offering these courses for delivery nationally, unless your application process specifically states otherwise, or
  • you offer courses in any of the following states:
    • the Australian Capital Territory
    • New South Wales
    • the Northern Territory
    • South Australia
    • Queensland, or
    • Tasmania.

If you are in Victoria or Western Australia and do not fall within ASQA's jurisdiction, you should register with the Victorian or West Australian regulator.

How does ASQA deal with non-compliance?

If ASQA identifies non-compliance, you will be given 20 working days to provide evidence that you have rectified that non-compliance.

ASQA will then consider this evidence. If you remain non-compliant with the required standards, ASQA will make a decision about what actions to take next. In making this decision, ASQA will consider your history of compliance and the risks associated with the non-compliance.

Actions might include:

  • applying a sanction or condition to your registration, and/or
  • rejecting your application.

The National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Act 2011 provides a range of sanctions of increasing severity—escalating from enforceable undertakings and additional conditions on registration through to suspending or cancelling the registration of a registered training organisation (RTO).

How does ASQA ensure consistency amongst its auditors?

ASQA constantly seeks to ensure consistency among its auditors and employs several formal processes to minimise the potential for audit variation, including:

  • Regulatory moderation workshops: these are focused on moderating issues that may lead to inconsistency in audit outcomes, and on sharing approaches to overcome these issues.
  • Auditor moderation log: a dynamic record of ASQA’s agreed position on compliance issues. Auditors refer to this log when making compliance recommendations.
  • Audit report guidance: to ensure consistency in audit report content, auditors refer to a guide, which focuses on reasons for non-compliance, action required, and analysis of additional evidence/response.
  • Other processes that contribute to audit consistency including an online auditor discussion board.

ASQA also promotes transparency and accountability in its audit program through undertaking quarterly audit surveys each year.

How does the audit approach work for students undertaking online training?

ASQA applies the same audit approach to providers where students undertake online training. The student survey is conducted online for all audits.

How does the student-centred audit approach work for new applicants with no enrolments?

ASQA will look at an applicant’s intended practices and behaviours in relation to each stage of the student journey.

How does the student-centred model apply to a training provider that does not exercise good practices, but enrols 'non-genuine' students who may not provide accurate information about these practices to ASQA?

ASQA’s intelligence sources, which inform regulatory action against RTOs with ‘non-genuine students’, will continue to include a wide range of sources, such as other government agencies and information and complaints from non-student sources.

While the focus of the audit model is the student experience, students are only one of many sources of data that informs ASQA’s audit process.

How long does the course accreditation process take?

If you develop and complete the course document and course accreditation submission in accordance with the Standards for VET Accredited Courses 2012, ASQA may accredit your course within six months. However, this is an indicative timeframe only. Timeframes for course accreditation vary depending on a range of factors, including the quality of the submission.

How long is a period of RTO registration?

As of 1 July 2018, the period of registration for a new RTO, in most cases, will be two years.

At the time of renewal of registration, ASQA may grant registration for a period of up to seven years.

In some cases, ASQA grants a shorter registration period. If you are granted a shorter registration period, ASQA will explain to you the reasons for this.

How long must CRICOS student assessment items be kept for?

The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 requires Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) providers to keep student assessment records for a minimum of two years.

In addition, an registered training organisation (RTO) is required to securely retain, and be able to produce in full at audit if requested to do so, all completed student assessment items for each student for a period of six months from the date on which the judgement of competence for the student has been made.

Completed student assessment items include the actual piece(s) of work completed by a student or evidence of that work, including evidence collected for a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process. An assessor’s completed marking guide, criteria, and observation checklist for each student may be sufficient where it is not possible to retain the student’s actual work. However, the retained evidence must have enough detail to demonstrate the assessor’s judgement of the student’s performance against the standard required.

Qualifications, courses or units of competency that lead to regulated/licensed outcomes may also impose specific records retention requirements. RTOs should refer to specific regulatory requirements relating to that delivery.

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

ASQA will finalise initial registration applications within six months of accepting a properly completed and fully compliant application. ‘Finalise’ means that ASQA has made a decision and advised the applicant (not that any review process has been completed).

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

ASQA completes the majority of Applications to renew RTO registration within six months.

How long will my complaint about ASQA take to be considered?

In most cases, ASQA will undertake and finalise the investigation of a complaint within a six-week period.

How much will an overseas audit cost?

Overseas audits are charged as follows:

  • base rate of $1000, and
  • $250 per hour after the first four hours, and
  • any ASQA official travel costs, and
  • any additional reasonable expenses incurred by ASQA relating to the overseas part of the audit.

How much will my compliance audit cost?

Please refer to the Guide to ASQA’s fees and charges 2018–19 (PDF) for information about all audit charges.

How will ASQA survey students who are studying English (i.e. students who may have very limited English capacity)?

The survey questions have undergone cognitive testing to ensure that they are easy to complete for most students, including students who speak languages other than English.

Where students have specific communication needs that make completing the survey difficult, ASQA will work with the provider to identify these and to determine the best way to seek information on these students’ experiences. We may use alternative methods such as face-to-face or phone interviews.