The Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015 require RTOs to manage their scope of registration and to transition to revised training products in a timely fashion.
For more information, refer to the Users’ Guide to the Standards. Changes to training package products (qualifications and/or units of competency) are defined as either 'equivalent' or 'not equivalent' by the relevant Skills Service Organisation (SSO) (formerly Industry Skills Council). The SSO determines equivalence in keeping with the Standards for Training Packages and supporting policy documents (including the Training Package Development and Endorsement Process and the Training Package Products Policy).
- ASQA automatically updates equivalent (E) changes to training package products on an RTO’s scope of registration, shortly after the equivalent product is listed on the national register
- Not equivalent (N) changes to training package products require the RTO to apply to change their scope of registration and pay an application fee if they wish to deliver the endorsed, non-equivalent product.
The relevant SSO publishes a 'Companion Volume Implementation Guide' for each newly endorsed training package.
These guides include equivalence mapping to demonstrate the relationship between the old and new product.
|Old qualification||Related qualification||Comment||E/N|
|CHC30712 Certificate III in Children’s Services||CHC30113 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care||Significant changes to core units and qualification structure. Changes to packaging rules.||N|
|SIF40112 Certificate IV in Funeral Services||SIF40113 Certificate IV in Funeral Services||Revised qualification provides greater flexibility to meet industry/organisational outcomes.||E|
When a new or revised training package is released, ASQA identifies all qualifications and units of competency that have been determined by the relevant SSO as being ‘equivalent’ to a current training package product.
If you have one of these products on your scope of registration, ASQA will:
- update your scope of registration with the new, equivalent training product
- apply any sanctions or conditions that apply to the superseded product on your scope to the new, equivalent product
- apply the same 'scope extent' listed on the national register ('deliver and assess') or ('deliver only') to the new, equivalent product, and
- inform you by email that your scope has been updated, including the details of the new, equivalent product.
If you do not want the new equivalent product added to your scope, you can opt out at any time after the update has been made, provided there are no current enrollments. You can do this by submitting an application to change registration on asqanet. ASQA does not charge a fee to remove items from scope.
If you have removed the new equivalent product from your scope of registration, but want to add it again within 12 months of the new product being published on the national register, you can apply to ASQA to add this product without being charged a fee. If you apply to add the new equivalent product more than 12 months after its publication, this is counted as an application to add a new item to scope and the relevant fee will apply.
When a Skills Service Organisation’s revision of a training package product changes the outcome, the new version is determined to be ‘not equivalent’ to the superseded product.
ASQA considers 'not equivalent' training package changes to be new products. New products require a risk assessment before being added to an RTO's scope of registration.
Therefore, before you can offer or deliver the non-equivalent product:
- you must submit an application to add the new product in asqanet
- you must pay the associated application fee, and
- ASQA must grant your application.
The Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015 allow RTOs 12 months from the date of publication on the national register to fully transition to new training package products, including the transfer of students where necessary.
You can prepare to transition to a revised training product by:
- reviewing the revised training package and supporting documentation such as the Companion Volume Implementation Guide on the national register
- assessing any changed requirements in the training package documentation such as licensing implications, resource and equipment lists, learning strategies and learning an assessment guidance
- revising your organisation’s resources to ensure all the new training package requirements are met, and
- revising your organisation’s training and assessment strategies to ensure they reflect the delivery of the new training package.
If a new equivalent product has been automatically updated on your scope of registration, you should continue to deliver the superseded product until you are ready to deliver the new equivalent product, within the 12-month transition period.
If an audit is conducted and your RTO has both the superseded and new equivalent product on scope, the auditor will check which product is being delivered and audit against that product.
For more information, please refer to the General direction—Learner transition.
If an AQF qualification is no longer current and has not been superseded, all training and assessment must be completed, and the qualification issued, within two years from the date the qualification was removed from the national register.
Where a skill set, unit of competency, accredited short course or module is no longer current and has not been superseded, all training and assessment must be completed and the statement of attainment issued within one year from the date the training product was removed or deleted from the National Register.
However, these requirements do not apply where a training package specifically requires the delivery of a superseded unit of competency.
To be alerted to training packages changes, subscribe to updates on the national register, training.gov.au.
- Sign in to the national register, or register for an account
- go to the training package page of interest, e.g. Business Services Training Package, and select the 'Notify me of changes' link at the top right of the page.
- Elect to receive notification when this training package changes.