ASQA | Spotlight On Assessment, Chapter 1
In this first chapter though we would like to draw your attention to resources already available on the ASQA website that give direction on the assessment process.
Spotlight On assessment: Resources already available
Series 3 of Spotlight On looks at assessment and how to ensure your processes meet the requirements of the Standards.
A high performing assessment system can help you in 2 ways:
- helping your students demonstrate they are competent against the training package and workforce ready, and
- by ensuring your Principles of Assessment and the Rules of Evidence align (outlined in 1.8 of the Standards), you can be truly responsive to both students and industry.
These outcomes mean your provider can benefit from excellent student outcomes leading to a strong reputation in the industry.
Developing your assessment process
To assist you in developing your assessment processes, Series 3 will feature video interviews with other training providers who will share their experiences responding to challenges and their insights on key elements of the assessment process.
The topics that we’ll cover are:
- developing assessment tools
- contextualising and pre-validating assessment tools
- supporting students through the assessment process
- delivering assessment online
- assessment in the workplace
In this first chapter, we would like to draw your attention to resources already available to you on the ASQA website that give direction on the assessment process. Refresh your knowledge and check out a wide range of resources, ranging from guides, webinars, and video tutorials. This material is a useful starting point to gain an understanding of assessment processes.
Users’ Guide to the Standards for RTOs 2015
The Users’ Guide contains some excellent tips and case studies for providers in understanding and implementing the Principles of Assessment and the Rules of Evidence.
Assessing under simulation
ASQA created this video for providers and assessors to share guidance on how to best structure practical assessments, using the example of the SIS Training Package Skill Set:
In collaboration with stakeholders across the VET sector, our webinar explores assessment-related issues in a round-table discussion with ASQA auditors and VET leaders. It is a conversational and entertaining introduction to understanding assessment featuring
- Andrew Shea from Builders Academy Australia - representing the Independent Tertiary Education Council Australia (ITECA)
- Nita Schultz from the Victorian TAFE Association.
- Ian Penna from ASQA
- Judith Keller from ASQA
The webinar recording is available complete or in stand-alone chapters, as well as an audio file for those who prefer podcasts.
Watch ASQA’s ‘Understanding assessment video’ here
More Spotlight On