Prepare your application
The following information explains how to prepare your application for initial registration as an RTO with ASQA.
Before applying, you will need to complete several compulsory steps:
The following information acts as a short overview of the RTO application process. We recommend following the Application for initial registration guide. This guide provides more detailed guidance on completing your application.
It is crucial that you thoroughly prepare and check your application before you submit it. Once you have submitted your application to ASQA, you will not be able to make any further amendments.
Understand the national VET system
You will also need to:
- ensure your organisation is eligible for registration with ASQA
- develop a thorough understanding of the requirements of registration, including conditions under the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015
- ensure that you have read and understood the Users’ guide to the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015, which outlines what compliance with each of the relevant Standards might look like
- understand and prepare the documentation ASQA requires to process your application.
Demonstrate financial viability
You must prove that your organisation is financially viable to have your registration application proceed.
All applicants must submit their financial information using our financial viability risk assessment tool. As part of this tool, you will need to provide your financial history and projections.
The information you supply in this tool helps us assess:
- whether you meet the specifications of the Financial Viability Risk Assessment Requirements 2011
- the likelihood of your business continuity
- your capacity to achieve quality outcomes.
Please note—you will need to work with an independent registered accountant to complete the financial viability document.
You will need to submit your completed financial viability tool with your other application documents via our application and registration management system, asqanet.
Complete a self-assessment
Before applying for RTO registration, you must be ready to:
- deliver training and assessment
- manage the recruitment, enrolment and support of students.
The self-assessment form tests your operational readiness against selected clauses of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015. You are required to provide evidence to support your answers.
The self-assessment form and supporting documents will be your evidence that you are ready to become an RTO.
Make fit and proper person declarations
You must provide a fit and proper person disclosure for all owners and certain executive officers of your organisation.
The Fit and Proper Person Requirements 2011 define what ‘fit and proper’ means and who needs to submit a disclosure.
The Requirements are designed to ensure that all relevant people associated with your organisation have the characteristics and principles necessary to ensure the delivery of high-quality services and outcomes for VET graduates.