|This web page describes the process that all applicants must follow if submitting an initial registration application to ASQA on or after 1 July 2018.|
The education of overseas students is Australia's third largest export.
It is essential to protect these students, and this important industry, by ensuring that anyone providing training and assessment to overseas students is delivering quality.
As such, becoming registered as a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) provider is a significant commitment, and requires applicants to undergo a thorough assessment.
To apply for CRICOS registration with ASQA, you will need to:
- develop a thorough understanding of the information and evidence required with your application for registration, as detailed in the Application guide—application for initial registration as a CRICOS provider
- submit evidence that your organisation will be financially viable using the Financial viability risk assessment tool
- submit evidence that your organisation’s chief executives, high managerial agents, owners, and other relevant people meet the Fit and Proper Person Requirements 2011
- demonstrate that your operation will comply with the requirements of the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Framework
- submit a complete application, including all required evidence in asqanet
- pay the required application fees.
You may also require planning approvals for your intended operating locations. You should contact local council early in the planning process to establish whether approval is required. The council should be able to provide you with information about applying if approval is required.
If ASQA approves your application, the courses you are registered to provide will be listed on CRICOS.
Vocational education and training (VET) providers
To offer vocational education and training courses to overseas students studying in Australia you must also register with ASQA as a registered training organisation (RTO).
You can lodge an application for CRICOS registration at the same time as an Application for initial RTO registration.
English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
If you are seeking to offer ELICOS courses, you will also need to demonstrate to ASQA that you will comply with the ELICOS Standards 2018. You will be asked to provide additional information and evidence when completing the application form.