All registered training organisations (RTOs) registered with ASQA must comply with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015 and the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), when issuing qualifications and statements of attainment.
ASQA has developed a Fact Sheet which provides sample forms of AQF certification documentation for nationally recognised VET qualifications. The Fact Sheet is designed to support RTOs to meet the requirements. RTOs can use this fact sheet to confirm which information to record on qualifications, statements of attainment and records of results.
For information on AQF requirements refer to:
- The AQF Second Edition which provides the complete set of AQF policies and objectives, and information about the governing and monitoring arrangements for the AQF
- The AQF Qualifications Issuance Policy which sits within the AQF Second Edition
- AQF Certification Documentation: An Explanation which explains the information required by the AQF and is supported with attached exemplars of the testamur, the record of results and the statement of attainment
For information on the additional requirements of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015, refer to Clause 3.2 and Schedule 5.
As of 1 January 2015, all ASQA RTOs must comply with Standard 3, Clause 3.6 of Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015, which relates to the Unique Student Identifier scheme.
The Unique Student Identifier (USI) scheme gives a learner access to an online record of the training they have done since 1 January 2015. The learner is also be able to produce a comprehensive transcript of their training. This can be used when applying for a job, seeking a credit transfer or demonstrating pre-requisites when undertaking further training.
Unless exempt, your RTO must only issue a qualification or statement of attainment to a learner after:
- the learner has provided you with a USI, for which you must then verify; or
- you have applied for a USI on behalf of the learner.
Some RTOs are exempt from providing full AVETMISS data under the National VET Provider Collection Data Requirements Policy. Where an exemption applies, you do not have to obtain a USI before issuing a qualification or statement of attainment. However, you must advise learners prior to enrolment or commencement of training or assessment that their achievements will not appear on their authenticated VET transcript or be available to them via the USI scheme. For more information on USI exemptions, please refer to the USI website.
Responsibility for the USI lies with the USI Office, part of the Australian Government Department of Education. Further questions relating to the USI should be directed to the USI Office in the Department of Education by calling 1300 857 536 or emailing USI [at] education.gov.au.
The NRT logo is used to promote and certify national vocational education and training leading to AQF qualifications or statements of attainment.
- All RTOs must comply with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015, Schedule 4 when using the NRT logo. Find out the conditions of using the NRT to logo in the NRT logo specifications.
- Request a copy of the NRT logo by emailing enquiries [at] asqa.gov.au (subject: Request%20for%20NRT%20logo) .
A testamur is defined by the AQF as 'an official certification document that confirms that a qualification has been awarded to an individual'. 'Testamurs' in this sense refer only to official documents that confirm that an AQF qualification has been awarded to an individual.
A learner who has successfully completed all of the required units of competency or modules (as specified in the training package qualification or accredited course) is entitled to receive the following certification documentation on award of the qualification:
- a testamur, and
- a record of results.
The record of results may be provided in addition to the testamur, or printed on the back of the testamur.
A statement of attainment should only be issued if a learner successfully completes one or more units of competency or modules or an accredited short course, but does not meet the requirements for a qualification (as specified in the training package). The statement of attainment will list all of the units of competency or modules achieved. A record of results may also be issued.
|Which logo?||When to use?|
|AQF logo and words||
- Refer to the NRT logo specifications (PDF) and Schedule 4 of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015 regarding the corporate use of the NRT logo.
- Refer to the AQF logo conditions regarding the corporate use of the AQF logo.
- Do not use Australian Government Commonwealth Crest (e.g. the crest used as ASQA's logo).