When evaluating an application to change your scope of registration, we consider:
- your ability to provide the VET course
- any other VET courses you offer
- whether you’re compliant with the VET Quality Framework and its conditions of registration.
We apply a risk management approach to assessing applications against the above criteria.
An application to change your scope of registration may be either approved or rejected via:
- registration performance assessment (audit)
- risk assessment.
For ASQA to begin considering your application, you must pay all relevant fees in full.
Applications decided through risk assessment
Most requests to change scope of registration receive approval following a risk assessment.
Applications rejected following risk assessment
We may reject an application to change your scope at the risk assessment stage, if:
- it is incomplete and you have failed to provide all required information and evidence within the nominated time frame
- the request is to remove courses from your scope, and the risk assessment has determined that you have not discharged your obligations, as an RTO, to all students currently enrolled or students who would be otherwise affected by the removal of the courses
- your RTO is the subject of a sanction or other non-compliance action relevant to the courses sought in the application
- you have not satisfied the financial viability risk assessment requirements.
Applications requiring a performance assessment
ASQA will conduct a performance assessment in relation to a change of scope request, if:
- we receive the change of scope application within the first two years of RTO registration
- risk assessment indicates that we should conduct a .
We may or may not require a site visit for an application subject to a performance assessment.
A performance assessment will review your compliance against the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015. The assessor (or Quality Assessment team) examines the strategies, resources and materials your organisation uses to deliver the training products on your scope of registration.
The assessor may also investigate:
- the effectiveness of management systems, delivery strategies and other materials
- how you intend to implement and deliver new training packages
- the suitability of your facilities and equipment
- the credentials of the nominated delivery personnel.
As outlined in our service standards, ASQA will finalise change to scope applications that require a performance assessment within six months of accepting a correctly completed and fully compliant application.
If we find non-compliance at the performance assessment
If we find that your organisation is non-compliant during a performance assessment, you will have 20 working days to provide evidence of full compliance. We analyse this updated evidence before approving or rejecting an application.
As part of this process, we may approve registration for some training products in your application, while rejecting registration for others. We may also grant approval with specific conditions applied to your registration.
RTOs within their first two years of registration cannot submit rectification evidence in response to non-compliance, but may seek review of an ASQA decision.
Timeframes for assessment of your application
We will process change of scope applications within 130 working days (six months).*
* subject to the application being complete on submission