As part of its student-centred audit approach, ASQA is seeking greater input from training providers’ current and former students including through interviews and surveys.
This fact sheet explains the survey that your students will be asked to complete and your role in assisting ASQA with this process.
What is the purpose of the student survey?
The student survey collects information from students about their experiences from the time they first decided to enrol with your training provider, including by asking them about the training and support they received, their assessment experiences, and the completion of their training.
This information will be used by ASQA to:
- inform the scope of your audit
- identify any areas of concern, and
- support the evidence or identify any variance from the evidence you provide during the audit process.
How will the survey be administered?
ASQA will utilise an electronic survey tool to administer the survey to students that have enrolled in or completed training with your organisation in the past 12 months.
ASQA will ask your organisation to:
- complete a template with a list of student details, and
- inform these students they may receive a survey from ASQA.
ASQA will then send out an email invite to all, or to a sample of, these students requesting they complete the survey.
ASQA may ask you to remind students to complete the survey if the response rate is very low.
What is the survey about?
The survey asks questions that relate to the following parts of the student experience:
- marketing and recruitment
- support and progression
- training and assessment, and
Students are asked to tick the box that best matches their agreement with statements about their learning experiences. The survey also asks students some open questions about their overall satisfaction with their training experience.
See below for the full list of questions.
Will I be given a copy of the results?
You will be provided with a summary of the aggregated responses for your survey at the same time you are issued with your audit report. This summary will not identify individual students or include comments from individual students as these are kept confidential. Your auditor may also discuss the overall survey results with you at audit and reference them in the audit report.
ASQA holds the copyright for this document and RTOs are not permitted to republish these survey results in any form, including on their websites.
For more information, email ASQA on enquiries [at] asqa.gov.au
ASQA student survey questions
Marketing and recruitment
- The information I received about my course before I enrolled (signed up) was true.
- I knew the name of my training provider before I enrolled (signed up).
- Did the training provider offer you any incentives to sign up to the course?
- Did the training provider promise or guarantee you would get a job if you completed the course?
- Was there another organisation (different to your training provider) involved in signing you up to this course?
- Did you know that the organisation who signed you up to this course was not your training provider?
- I understood the length of the course before I enrolled (signed up).
- My training provider gave me information about how the course would meet my needs before I enrolled (signed up).
- I understood the study requirements before I enrolled (signed up).
- My rights and responsibilities as a student were explained to me before I enrolled (signed up).
- The payment terms and conditions were clear to me when I enrolled (signed up).
- I was aware of my training provider's refund policy when I enrolled (signed up).
Support and progression
- My training provider has asked me if I have any learning needs.
- I received information about student support services.
- I know where to get help if I have a problem with my studies.
- My training provider supports me by providing all the learning resources and equipment I need to complete my course
- I know how to make a complaint if I am unhappy about my training or support services.
Training and assessment
- Overall, my teachers/tutors/trainers are professional and knowledgeable about my course.
- I have access to good quality learning resources.
- I have access to good quality facilities.
- I felt I had enough time to learn and practice skills before being assessed (tested).
- Assessment activities are clearly explained to me.
- Overall, I am given helpful feedback on my assessment tasks.
- The course is meeting my expectations.
- I understand what I need to do to successfully complete my course.
- I have been supported to complete my course within the expected length of the course.
- Overall, how satisfied are you with the training provided by your training provider?
- Overall, how satisfied are you with the support services provided to you by your training provider?
- I would recommend my training provider to my friends, family and colleagues?
- What aspects of the training experience did you like best?
- How could the training provider have improved the training experience for you?
- If you have any comments to make about your training provider, please enter here.