What is CRICOS?

In Australia, training providers must be approved for registration on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) before they can teach overseas students.

'Overseas students’ are people who hold a student visa issued by the Australian Government.

CRICOS lists all Australian education providers that are approved to teach overseas students and the courses that they offer.

Search the CRICOS register

There are two reasons you may want to apply for CRICOS registration through ASQA:

  1. To deliver VET courses to overseas students
  2. To deliver English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

One or both of these reasons may apply to your organisation.

Deliver VET courses

To deliver VET courses you must be a registered training organisation (RTO). If you are not already an RTO, you can apply for RTO registration and CRICOS registration at the same time.

Deliver ELICOS courses

To deliver ELICOS courses, you must be registered on CRICOS. You do not need to become an RTO if you intend to only deliver ELICOS courses.

Was this page helpful?