Stage 2—Course review and redevelopment
To renew a course you must research and provide evidence there is an ongoing industry, enterprise, education, legislative or community need for the course.
You must also review and amend the accredited course to ensure it complies with current standards and meets current industry needs.
Consult with stakeholders
Consultation and validation activities must occur:
- with a broad range of relevant industry stakeholders
- at both the course/qualification level and the enterprise unit of competency level.
When redeveloping your course, we recommended you engage the services of a representative with skills and knowledge in developing courses for accreditation and delivery in the VET sector. You must provide evidence of this consultation along with your renewal of accreditation application.
We encourage consultation with relevant Skills Service Organisations (SSOs) where the outcomes of a proposed course fall within (or can be associated with) areas of coverage.
You must submit evidence to demonstrate this consultation has occurred with your course renewal application. The following documents are available to assist with the process:
- Industry consultation form (DOC)
- An example of how to complete Attachment 1 and 2 of the Industry consultation survey (PDF)
- Confirmation of Consultation—VET Course Accreditation Application form (DOC).
Review and redevelopment of the course
You must review your course against current accreditation requirements. These requirements may have changed since the course was last accredited, requiring you to amend your course.
We will only consider a course for renewal if it does not duplicate the outcomes of existing training package outcomes. Training packages are often updated to meet identified needs. New training package units of competency, skill sets and qualifications may have received endorsement since your course was last accredited.
You will need to conduct a full review of your course content to check for any duplication with training package content. ASQA will only consider renewing your course if no duplication exists.
During your review of the course document, you must:
- Update your accredited course document. The course must be developed using the National course document template. The template provides guidance and some suggested text for inclusion in the course document. Section B: 3.2 of the template contains specific guidance on reviewing a course document for renewal of accreditation.
- Ensure units of competency developed for inclusion in the course (enterprise units) meet the template requirements of the Standards for VET Accredited Courses.
Ensure the allocated nominal hours for training package units align to those specified in the Victorian training package purchasing guides. The National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) uses these hours for AVETMISS reporting purposes; therefore, ASQA uses these hours as a benchmark.