ASQA publishes information about certain regulatory decisions to inform students, industry and government about the vocational education and training (VET) sector, and about certain providers of education and training to overseas students.
View the table of ASQA's published regulatory decisions
Why does ASQA publish these decisions?
ASQA publishes this information in accordance with:
- Sections 209 and 216 of the National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Act 2011 (NVR Act), and
- Sections 14A and 170A of the Education Service for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act)
Section 209 of the NVR Act provides that ASQA may release information to the public if the information ‘would reasonably inform a person’s choice to enrol as a VET student with a registered training organisation’.
Section 14A of the ESOS Act provides for the entry of certain information on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
Section 170A of the ESOS Act provides for the publication of information about certain types of regulatory action taken in relation to a provider.
What types of regulatory decisions does ASQA publish?
ASQA publishes the following types of regulatory decisions:
Decisions made under the National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Act 2011(NVR Act)
ASQA publishes decisions:
- to impose an administrative sanction—either to cancel registration, to suspend or amend the scope of registration, to shorten the period of registration or to give a written direction—on a registered training organisation under Section 36
- to impose a condition on a registered training organisation’s registration under Section 29(1)
- to reject an application to renew a registered training organisation’s registration under Section 17.
The above decisions are all reviewable decisions for the purpose of Section 199 of the NVR Act.
Affected persons may apply to ASQA in certain circumstances or to the AAT for a review of the decision in accordance with Division 1 of Part 9 of the NVR Act.
Decisions made under the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act)
ASQA publishes decisions:
- to impose a sanction—including cancellation or suspension of registration—on a provider under Division 1 of Part 6
- to not renew a provider’s registration under Section 10AE.
Providers affected by the above ESOS Act decisions may apply to ASQA in certain circumstances or to the AAT for a review of the decision in accordance with Division 1 of Part 7A of the ESOS Act.