In some cases, ASQA is empowered to approve transition periods longer than those detailed in Clauses 1.26 (a), (b) and (c) of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015.
ASQA will only consider applications for a longer transition period where it can be demonstrated that there would be genuine disadvantage to a cohort of learners if such an extension was not approved.
Where ASQA has approved an extended transition period, that arrangement applies to all RTOs delivering the specific training product to the identified learner cohort (e.g. plumbing apprentices in a specific jurisdiction where the qualification has been superseded), regardless of who made the application.
ASQA has recently approved an extended transition period for the following qualifications:
- MEM30205 Certificate III in Engineering – Mechanical Trade
- MEM30305 Certificate III in Engineering – Fabrication Trade
- MEM40105 Certificate IV in Engineering
- MEM50105 Diploma of Engineering – Advanced Trade
- MEM20205 Certificate II in Engineering – Production Technology
- MEM30105 Certificate III in Engineering – Production Systems
- MEM30605 Certificate III in Jewellery Manufacture
- MEM30705 Certificate III in Marine Craft Construction
- MEM30905 Certificate III in Boating Services
- MEM31010 Certificate III in Watch and Clock Service and Repair
The extended training, assessment and certification issuance period for this qualification ends on 31 December 2020.
The relevant qualifications will remain on RTOs scope of registration until the end of the extended transition period, unless the RTO chooses to withdraw it from scope prior.