Extended transition period: qualifications in SIT Tourism, Travel and Hospitality Training Package
In some cases, ASQA is empowered to approve transition periods longer than those detailed in Clauses 1.26 (a), (b) and (c) of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015.
In accordance with the General Direction – Learner transition, ASQA will only consider applications for a longer transition period where it can be demonstrated that there would be genuine disadvantage to a cohort of learners if such an extension was not approved.
Where ASQA has approved an extended transition period, that arrangement applies to all RTOs delivering the specific training product to the identified learner cohort (e.g., plumbing apprentices in a specific jurisdiction where the qualification has been superseded), regardless of who made the application.
ASQA has recently approved an extended transition period for qualifications in the SIT Tourism, Travel and Hospitality Training Package. The extended training, assessment, and certification issuance period for these qualifications listed below ends on 31 January 2024: -
- SIT10116 - Certificate I in Tourism (Australian Indigenous Culture)
- SIT10216 - Certificate I in Hospitality
- SIT20116 - Certificate II in Tourism
- SIT20316 - Certificate II in Hospitality
- SIT20416 - Certificate II in Kitchen Operations
- SIT30116 - Certificate III in Tourism
- SIT30216 - Certificate III in Travel
- SIT30316 - Certificate III in Guiding
- SIT30516 - Certificate III in Events
- SIT30616 - Certificate III in Hospitality
- SIT30716 - Certificate III in Hospitality (Restaurant Front of House)
- SIT30816 - Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- SIT30916 - Certificate III in Catering Operations
- SIT31016 - Certificate III in Patisserie
- SIT31116 - Certificate III in Asian Cookery
- SIT40116 - Certificate IV in Travel and Tourism
- SIT40216 - Certificate IV in Guiding
- SIT40416 - Certificate IV in Hospitality
- SIT40516 - Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
- SIT40616 - Certificate IV in Catering Operations
- SIT40716 - Certificate IV in Patisserie
- SIT40816 - Certificate IV in Asian Cookery
- SIT50116 - Diploma of Travel and Tourism Management
- SIT50316 - Diploma of Event Management
- SIT50416 - Diploma of Hospitality Management
- SIT60116 - Advanced Diploma of Travel and Tourism Management
- SIT60216 - Advanced Diploma of Event Management
- SIT60316 - Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management
It was demonstrated to ASQA that learners would be genuinely disadvantage if they were required to transition to the replacement qualification as the significance of changes would not provide the expected outcomes for existing learners.
ASQA consulted Victorian Registration and Qualification Authority (VRQA) and Training Accreditation Council Western Australia (TAC WA) for this extended transition request.
The decision was made with support from Skills IQ in their role as the Skills Service Organisation; Tourism, Travel and Hospitality Industry Reference Committee; NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA), NSW Association of Independent Schools, Catholic Schools NSW, and NSW Department of Education and feedback from RTOs delivering these qualifications.
The qualifications in the SIT Tourism, Travel and Hospitality Training Package listed above will remain on RTOs scope of registration until the end of the extended transition period unless the RTO chooses to withdraw it from scope prior.