- Focus on compliance
- Series 4 | Student support strategies
- ASQA | Spotlight On Student support, Chapter 1
ASQA | Spotlight On Student support, Chapter 1
Ways to improve your student support
This Spotlight on series 4, focusing on student support, will provide you with tools and tips to help you demonstrate compliance against the Standards for RTOs. It will also help you achieve successful student outcomes, with students who are work ready with the necessary skills required to succeed.
To achieve success, you need to have quality systems in place to ensure students:
- are well-matched to the course with capability to successfully complete
- have access to a range of support services for well-being and academic issues during their enrolment and training periods.
Finding the right fit
Student support is broad with many considerations. One size will not fit all. Clause 1.7 of the Standards for RTOs 2015 states:
This clause has a focus on an individual student rather than student cohorts, with 2 requirements:
- the provider determines the student’s support needs during their enrolment
- the provider determines relevant support services, providing access when needed by the student.
While it is not a requirement to develop and maintain these services, your policies and procedures need to:
- identify services that can genuinely help
- provide information and access to students for these services.
Delivering strong student support
Over the course of this series, we’ll highlight the importance of:
- determining support needs for students before enrolment
- observing students for signs of requiring support as they progress through their course
- responding to a student’s need for support
- identifying practical solutions for students if they require support
- identifying and engaging support services for students
- supporting students who are learning remotely
- responding to the needs of overseas students and complying with the National Code.
More Spotlight On
Still have a question? Check out the Users’ guide to the Standards for RTOs 2015, or send through a question for consideration for our webinar via our website.