Annual registration charges
ASQA is waiving some fees and charges for VET providers and accredited course owners from 1 January 2020 to 30 June 2021.
ASQA’s annual registration charges are in addition to any charges issued by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment.
RTO annual registration charge
All registered training organisations (RTOs) are subject to the RTO annual registration charge.
ASQA sends out invoices for the annual RTO registration charge on 1 July each year.
In your first year of registration, ASQA will invoice you at the start of the first whole calendar month of your registration period. This invoice will be on a pro rata basis (from the date of registration to 30 June).
How much is the RTO annual registration charge?
We calculate the RTO annual registration charge according to how many qualifications are on your scope of registration when we issue the invoice:
- 0 to 4 qualifications—$1130
- 5 to 10 qualifications—$3220
- 11 to 60 qualifications—$6975
- 61 or more qualifications—$10,730.
Example: Annual registration charge
A provider’s registration transfers from the Western Australia Training Accreditation Council (TAC) to ASQA on 15 March 2018. The provider has five qualifications on its scope of registration.
- The provider is subject to ASQA annual registration charges from 1 April 2018 (the first day of the first whole calendar month of the provider’s ASQA-regulated registration period).
- The applicable RTO annual registration charge is $3220 (for 5–10 qualifications).
- ASQA invoices the provider for the period from 1 April to 30 June. This invoice is for $805 (a pro rata amount, covering a three-month portion of the RTO annual registration charge).
- On 1 July 2018, ASQA invoices the provider for the period from 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019. This invoice is for $3220.
- In subsequent years, ASQA invoices the provider on 1 July each year, for the coming 12-month period.
CRICOS annual registration charge
All Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) providers that ASQA regulates are subject to the CRICOS annual registration charge.
ASQA sends out invoices for the annual CRICOS registration charge on 1 July each year.
In your first year of registration, ASQA will invoice you on a pro rata basis (covering the period from date of registration to 30 June).
How much is the CRICOS annual registration charge?
We calculate this charge according to how many qualifications are on your scope of registration when we issue the invoice.
- 0 to 2 qualifications—$950
- 3 to 4 qualifications—$1645
- 5 to 50 qualifications—$4375
- 51 or more qualifications—$7100.
Please note that that the Department of Education, Skills and Employment (DESE) also imposes an annual registration charge (ARC) on CRICOS providers. This charge is separate of the yearly registration charge imposed by ASQA. All providers registered or suspended on CRICOS as of 1 January are required to pay this charge.
Find out more about this charge on the Department’s annual registration charge page.
Why is an annual registration charge necessary?
The annual registration charge recovers some of the costs of ASQA regulatory activities, including:
- information services, such as the ASQA Info Line and website
- risk intelligence, such as maintaining training provider risk profiles
- maintaining training provider records
- services and functions that support the VET sector but have no associated fee or charge of their own.