Go to top of page

English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)

ELICOS programs have been designed for students who come from overseas to study English for a variety of reasons, including the need to develop their English-language skills to undertake further studies in Australia.

ELICOS regulation

In order to teach overseas students on student visas, ELICOS providers and their courses must be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

ASQA is responsible for the approval and registration of ELICOS providers on CRICOS, except where the ELICOS course is delivered:

  • by the provider in its capacity as a school
  • by the provider in its capacity as a higher education provider, or
  • under an ‘entry arrangement’ with at least one higher education provider.

ELICOS and higher education

The Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency (TEQSA) is responsible for regulation under the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act) of higher education providers, including Foundation Program or ELICOS courses delivered by a higher education providers or under an ‘entry arrangement’ with a higher education provider.

ELICOS in schools

The relevant state regulatory body is the designated authority to recommend approval under the ESOS Act for schools, including any ELICOS courses delivered in the capacity of a school.

Requirements for CRICOS providers delivering ELICOS programs

For CRICOS registration, providers delivering ELICOS programs must:

It is not an ASQA requirement that providers have National English Language Teaching Accreditation Scheme (NEAS) accreditation in order to be registered by ASQA on CRICOS, however, NEAS accreditation will be viewed positively in the risk assessment of a provider.

Related items: