In some cases, ASQA is empowered to amend transition periods longer or shorter than those detailed in Clauses 1.26 (a), (b) and (c) of the Standards for RTOs 2015. ASQA will only consider applications for an altered transition period where it can be demonstrated that there would be genuine disadvantage to a cohort of learners if such an application was not approved.
Where ASQA has approved an amendment to a transition period, that arrangement applies to all RTOs delivering the specific training product to the identified learner cohort (e.g. plumbing apprentices in a specific jurisdiction where the qualification has been superseded), regardless of who made the application.
As a result of a request from the Australian Maritime Safety, Authority ASQA Commissioners recently agreed to reduce the transition period for a number of Maritime qualifications. The request for the reduction was supported by Australian Industry Standards in their role as a Skills Service Organisation.
The following qualifications remain current, but will have a reduced transition end date of 1 April 2018 once the new qualifications are released.
- MAR10413 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal)
- MAR20313 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)
- MAR20413 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 Near Coastal)
- MAR30913 Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master up to 24 metres Near Coastal)
- MAR31013 Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master Inland Waters)
- MAR30813 Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal)
This reduction to the transition period will affect all RTOs delivering the qualifications to current learners and affected RTOs will need to complete the training, assessment and AQF certification documentation issuance for existing learners prior to the 1 April 2018.
Training.gov.au will not be updated to reflect the changed transition date.
For further information on the development and endorsement of the new qualifications, please refer to the Australian Industry Standards.