Go to top of page

Policy update on VET accredited English courses

8 May 2014

Are you planning to offer a VET accredited English course to overseas students on student visas?

ASQA has recently updated its policy for providers offering these courses. All VET accredited English courses, excluding those courses designed for people wanting to teach English to speakers of other languages (TESOL), are required to be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas students (CRICOS) as English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

To teach overseas students on student visas, providers delivering ELICOS must be registered on CRICOS.

When does this requirement come into effect?

This requirement comes into effect immediately for providers wishing to register a VET accredited English course on CRICOS.

What do I have to do as a CRICOS provider?

If you intend to deliver a VET accredited English course to overseas students on a student visa you will need to apply to ASQA to register the course on CRICOS as an ELICOS course and provide evidence to demonstrate that the course meets Standard C1 of the ELICOS National Standards. ASQA 'Application to change CRICOS registration' has a section where you will be required to provide this evidence.

Assessment against C1 of the ELICOS National Standards is only one part of the application process to add a VET accredited English course to CRICOS. Your application to deliver this course to overseas students will still be risk assessed and the normal process for having a course approved on your CRICOS registration will be applied.

Need help?

You can contact ASQA by calling the Infoline on 1300 701 801 (select Option 3), Monday to Friday, between 9.00 am and 7.00 pm AEST or emailing enquiries [at] asqa.gov.au.