As a cost-recovery agency, ASQA applies fees and charges to certain regulatory activities to recover the cost of performing those activities.
All applicants for initial Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) registration must pay both an application lodgement fee and an application assessment fee.
Fees associated with CRICOS registration include:
- application fees (lodgement fees and assessment fees)
- fees for adding items to your scope of registration and additional delivery sites
- annual registration charges
- other ASQA fees and charges as outlined in the Guide to ASQA’s fees and annual registration charges and ASQA schedule of charges (PDF 311kb), and
- other fees and charges not administered by ASQA.
CRICOS providers delivering English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) are subject to the same fees as other CRICOS providers. Non-award ELICOS programs are covered under ASQA's definition of ‘qualification’ for the purpose of calculating registration fees.
- You may pay this fee by credit card or cheque at the time of submitting the application.
- Alternatively, when submitting your application, you may request that ASQA invoice you for this fee so that you can pay by Bpay or electronic funds transfer (EFT).
- Until you pay this invoice ASQA will not begin to assess your application.
Application lodgement fee
This fee covers ASQA’s completeness check of your application.
This is a flat fee of $1000 per application.
If you withdraw your application, the application lodgement fee may be refunded only if ASQA has not started the completeness check.
Application assessment fee
- The base application assessment fee is $8000.
- This base fee includes registration for up to four qualifications and up to two delivery sites.
- In addition to the base fee:
- each additional qualification is charged at $155
- each additional Australian delivery site is charged at $1640
- The total application fee (the sum of the application lodgement fee and application assessment fee) is capped at $50,000.
If ASQA approves your application for initial registration, you will be required to begin paying ASQA annual registration charges.
- Learn more about annual charges for CRICOS providers
CRICOS fees—frequently asked questions
Why are CRICOS fees higher than RTO fees?
ASQA's fees relating to CRICOS registration reflect the cost of conducting CRICOS activities and the increased complexity of assessing CRICOS providers against the relevant standards. These standards are different to those that apply to registered training organisations (RTOs).
Are there fees associated with the accreditation/approval of ELICOS courses?
ELICOS providers are subject to the same fees as other CRICOS providers.
Non-award ELICOS programs are covered under ASQA’s definition of ‘qualification’ for the purpose of calculating registration fees.
Are CRICOS providers charged for compliance audits or complaints investigations?
ASQA’s future cost recovery reviews are likely to include consideration of the recovery of costs in the regulation of CRICOS providers. At this stage, ASQA’s legislation does not allow for the cost recovery of these activities.