Go to top of page

Further assistance—other complaints handling bodies

Consumer protection agencies

If you are seeking a refund or a cancellation of your course fees, the consumer protection agency in your state or territory can provide you with information about your rights and obligations. Your consumer protection agency may be able to help you negotiate with your provider.

Australian Capital Territory:

New South Wales:

Northern Territory:


South Australia:



Western Australia:

If you are studying with a provider that is located in a different state or territory to where you live, you can report your concerns to the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission.

State or Territory Ombudsman

If you are studying with a government-run provider (such as a TAFE) and your complaint is about fees and refunds, you can seek help from your state or territory ombudsman.

Overseas Student Ombudsman

If you are a current or former overseas student that has been studying with a private provider in Australia, you can seek help with fees and refunds from the Overseas Students Ombudsman by calling 1300 362 072 or +61 3 9203 4027. 

VET student Loans Ombudsman

If you believe you have a VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans debt that you should not have, or believe you have been treated unfairly by a VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loan approved provider, you can contact the VET Student Loans Ombudsman for information and advice, or phone 1300 362 072.