ASQA seeks to ensure that in all operations it is efficient, effective and accountable, through adhering to its Performance Standards.
ASQA Performance Standards
The overall quality of ASQA’s services
- ASQA will publish annual reports of its performance in regulating vocational education and training.
Fees and Charges
- ASQA will levy fees and charges in accordance with the relevant Legislative Instruments.
- ASQA will publish its fees and charges on its website.
Provision of Information to Stakeholders
- ASQA will provide stakeholders with accurate, sufficient and up-to-date information on compliance requirements.
- ASQA will provide a range of communication channels to facilitate access to information.
- ASQA will publish details of relevant regulatory actions on its website and/or the National Register.
ASQA’s Info line will provide a high level of customer service by:
- conveying information in a clear, easy-to-understand manner;
- reinforcing information by referring callers to relevant material on ASQA’s website and providing advice on the use of online tools to enable self-service through our website;
- answering calls within 120 seconds;
- resolving simple procedural enquiries immediately;
- offering a clear procedure for the escalation of complex enquiries; and
- escalating enquiries that are complex, or require a response from a non-Info line team, within two working days of receipt and providing callers with information about likely resolution times for those complex enquiries.
Email enquiries to the Info Line
ASQA’s Info line will:
- confirm the receipt of all emails within one working day;
- respond within two working days to simple procedural enquiries; and
- respond within ten working days to complex enquiries.
Conduct of Regulatory processes
Applications for course accreditation
- ASQA will finalise course accreditation applications within six months of accepting a properly completed and fully compliant application.
Applications for registration
- ASQA will finalise initial registration applications within six months of accepting a properly completed and fully compliant application.
- ASQA will finalise renewal of registration applications within six months of accepting a properly completed and fully compliant application.
- ASQA will finalise change of scope applications (that do not require an audit) within one month of accepting a properly completed and fully compliant application.
- ASQA will finalise change of scope applications (that do require an audit) within six months of accepting a properly completed and fully compliant application.
- The above timeframes do not apply where an applicant is already under regulatory scrutiny by ASQA.
- ‘Finalise’ means that ASQA has made a decision and advised the applicant (not that any review process has been completed).
Conduct of Audits
- Unless circumstances dictate a shorter, or no, notification period, organisations will be provided with at least ten working days notice prior to an audit.
- The organisation will be provided with an interim audit report within 30 calendar days of the site visit.
Complaints and appeals
Complaints about training organisations
- For complaints lodged using ASQA’s online complaints process ASQA will acknowledge to the complainant, in writing, receipt of the complaint within five working days. For complaints lodged through other channels, ASQA will respond as quickly as practicable.
- Complaints, other than those which involve a formal investigation, appeal process or external mediation will be closed within 4 months of receipt of the complaint. If a complaint takes more than 4 months to finalise, the complainant will continue to be informed of the status of the complaint process.
- The complainant and the registered training organisation (RTO) will be provided with written confirmation of the outcome of the complaint within ten working days of the final decision.
- ASQA will provide quarterly reports to the Minister on its handling of reports of an RTO’s non-compliance with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015.
Complaints about ASQA
- For complaints about ASQA lodged in accordance with the procedure published on ASQA’s website, ASQA will acknowledge to the complainant, in writing, receipt of the complaint within five working days of the complaint being received. For complaints about ASQA lodged through other channels, ASQA will respond as quickly as practicable.
- ASQA will act to investigate complaints as quickly as practicable. If ASQA considers more than 90 calendar days will be required to finalise a complaint, it will write to the complainant to explain the reasons why more than 90 calendar days is required.
‘Reconsideration’ of ASQA decisions
- ASQA will acknowledge, in writing, receipt of a Reconsideration application within ten working days of the application being received by the responsible team within ASQA.
- ASQA will inform the applicant of the decision on its application within 90 calendar days of receiving a complete reconsideration application.
- ASQA will give the applicant a written statement of its reasons for its decision within 30 calendar days of making its decision.
Freedom of Information (FOI)
- FOI requests will be acknowledged in writing as soon as practicable, but not later than 14 calendar days after the request is received by the responsible team within ASQA.
- ASQA will comply with the requirements (including timeframes) of the Freedom of Information Act 1982. This means that, at times, ASQA may need to consult with other agencies or third parties prior to making a decision about a request.