Issue qualifications and statements of attainment
All registered training organisations (RTOs) registered with ASQA must comply with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015 and the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), when issuing qualifications and statements of attainment.
Where can I find information about AQF qualifications and the VET sector?
ASQA has developed a Fact Sheet which provides sample forms of AQF certification documentation for nationally recognised VET qualifications. The Fact Sheet is designed to support RTOs to meet the requirements. RTOs can use this fact sheet to confirm which information to record on qualifications, statements of attainment and records of results.
For information on AQF requirements refer to:
For information on the additional requirements of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015, refer to Clause 3.2 and Schedule 5.
The Unique Student Identifier
As of 1 January 2015, all ASQA RTOs must comply with Standard 3, Clause 3.6 of Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015, which relates to the Unique Student Identifier scheme.
The Unique Student Identifier (USI) scheme, enabled by the Student Identifiers Act 2014, allows learners to access a single online record of their VET achievements. The scheme also allows for reliable confirmation of these achievements by employers and other RTOs.
Unless exempt, your RTO must only issue a qualification or statement of attainment to a learner after:
- the learner has provided you with a verified USI, or
- you have applied for a USI on behalf of the learner.
Some RTOs are exempt from providing full AVETMISS data under the National VET Provider Collection Data Requirements Policy. Where an exemption applies, you do not have to obtain a USI before issuing a qualification or statement of attainment. However, you must advise learners prior to enrolment or commencement of training or assessment that their achievements will not appear on their authenticated VET transcript or be available to them via the USI scheme.
Responsibility for the USI lies with the USI Office, part of the Australian Government Department of Industry. Further questions relating to the USI should be directed to the USI Office in the Department of Industry by calling 13 38 73 or emailing email@example.com.
What is the Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) logo?
The NRT logo is used to promote and certify national vocational education and training leading to AQF qualifications or statements of attainment.
Which logos should I use on testamurs, statements of attainment, and records of results?
A testamur is defined by the AQF as 'an official certification document that confirms that a qualification has been awarded to an individual'. 'Testamurs' in this sense refer only to official documents that confirm that an AQF qualification has been awarded to an individual.
A learner who has successfully completed all of the required units of competency or modules (as specified in the training package qualification or accredited course) is entitled to receive the following certification documentation on award of the qualification:
- a testamur, and
- a record of results.
The record of results may be provided in addition to the testamur, or printed on the back of the testamur.
A statement of attainment should only be issued if a learner successfully completes one or more units of competency or modules or an accredited short course, but does not meet the requirements for a qualification (as specified in the training package). The statement of attainment will list all of the units of competency or modules achieved. A record of results may also be issued.
When to use?
- RTOs must include the Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) logo on testamurs and statements of attainment.
- The NRT logo is not to be used on the record of results.
AQF logo and words
- RTOs must include the AQF logo or the words 'The qualification is recognised within the Australian Qualifications Framework' on a testamur.
- The AQF logo or words are not to be used on the record of results.
- The AQF logo or words are not to be used on statements of attainment.
- The AQF logo is available from the AQF website.
- RTOs must comply with the AQF's Conditions for the use of the AQF logo.
- ASQA RTOs must not include a state or territory registering body logo on testamurs, statements of attainment or records of results..
- In some cases (for example within User Choice contracts) RTOs may need to include a state or territory training body logo on testamurs or statements of attainment, where directed by a state or territory training body.
- RTOs must not use the Australian Government Commonwealth Crest logo (e.g. the crest used as ASQA's logo). The Australian Government Crest is only to be used by authorised government departments and agencies.
When can I use logos on RTO or course marketing?